Praying for a Good Book

After wondering whether or not I would find a book that kept my interest for more than a few pages, my prayers have been answered.  Normally, I would do a book review on my book page, however, I am so delighted that my dry spell has been broken.


Once again, I picked this book up as I was checking in books at the library.  I was intrigued by the title alone.  I have heard of prayer boxes, have contemplated creating my own and currently have a basket I made, holding feathers, which I all my 'blessings'.

Tandi, the main character, is on the run from an abusive relationship with her 14 year old daughter and 10 year old son.  They are hiding in the Outer Banks, an area Tandi remembers from her childhood.   So right away the book hits several chords with me.  I, too, am a single mom.  I left Texas (before my kids were born) and moved to North Carolina.  I am familiar with the North Carolina coast, but more so, further south.

Struggling to keep her family together with very little money, she discovers the body of Iola Anne, her landlady.  Iola Anne had passed away in her sleep.  Having left her house to the local church in Fairhope, Tandi is asked to clean up the house so the church can figure out what to do with it.  Since this means the possibility of earning a few dollars and her unpaid rent being forgiven, she jumps at the chance.

During the process of cleaning, Tandi discovers box upon box, mainly shoe box size, filled with letters and clippings and other memorabilia saved by Iola Anne over the years.  Reading the letters Iola Anne has written to "Dear Father", Tandi pieces together an extraordinary live.  These revelations above Iola Anne give Tandi the courage to make changes and take chances in her own life.  

I really loved this little book.  While short in pages, it is long in making you stop and think and wonder what kind of legacy you might be leaving behind.

Comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Japanese Quilt finish! I appreciate the comment and I'm so glad to find your blog!

    I LOVE your fractured Grinch! Can't wait to see your finish.

    Krista
    sewwhatscooking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts